Andre Villas-Boas says heÂ’s in the dark over reports that Chelsea are set to pip Tottenham to the signing of Willian. Willian is the clubÂ’s top target to replace Gareth Bale, whoÂ’s edging closer to a world-record move to Real Madrid after Franco Baldini held discussions with the nine-time European champions. Willian underwent a medical at Spurs earlier this week, but reports on Thursday night claimed that Jose Mourinho has attempted to outdo his former protege by bidding for the Brazil international.
Mourinho claimed earlier this summer that Wayne Rooney was his only remaining transfer target, but the Chelsea boss now appears to have had a change of mind. Villas-Boas, speaking just after TottenhamÂ’s 5-0 Europa League playoff win over Dinamo Tbilisi, said he knew nothing about ChelseaÂ’s apparent approach for Willian, but he conceded anything was possible regarding the transfer.
Â“We were just involved in a game so unfortunately I canÂ’t give you further information,Â” the Tottenham manager said.
Â“I confirmed our interest in the player. Everything is possible, but IÂ’m not aware of the circumstances because of our involvement in the (Dinamo) game. I donÂ’t want it to be a distraction over what we achieved here.Â”