The big weekend is finally here. 98FM's Big Slide Home with HB Ice Cream and Dublin City Council splashes onto Winetavern Street this Saturday and Sunday, July 23rd and 24th.
In the first event of its kind in Ireland, a 260ft water slide will be constructed in the city centre. The two lane inflatable slide (5mt wide) will run from the arch of the Cathedral down to the base of the hill and will give listeners the chance to travel through Christchurch like never before!
Here's a sneak peak...
Here's some important information...
- Saturday: 12pm-6pm
- Sunday: 12.30pm-6:30pm
Winners will have an allocated time slot printed on their wristband. You must slide at this time. They are not permitted to be used during other time slots.
98FM's Big Slide Home is located on Winetavern Street next to Christchurch Cathedral. This central location is just a 15 minute walk from O'Connell Bridge and is close to all transport links. There is NO PARKING at the event.
BUS: 98FM’s Big Slide Home is served by many bus routes from across Dublin city & county. Check your local route on www.dublinbus.ie and see below for the best stop to access the event.
13, 40, 123, 747
High Street, Christchurch
27, 49, 54a, 56a, 77a, 150, 151
Lord Edward Street
25/a/b, 26, 37, 39/a, 66/a/b, 67, 69, 70, 79/a, 83/a, 145
Inns Quay/Merchants Quay
9, 14, 15/a/b, 16, 65/b, 68, 122, 140
South Great George’s Street (8 minute walk to Christchurch)
98FM’s Big Slide Home is a 5 minute walk from the Luas Red Line. Take a tram to Four Courts and follow the signs. If you're using the Green line, it’s a 15 minute walk from St. Stephen’s Green. Check www.luas.ie for more details.
From Heuston Station, take the Luas Red Line to Four Courts or use bus routes 25/a/b, 79/a, or 145 to Inns Quay. From Connolly Station take the Luas Red Line to Four Courts or use bus route 151 to Christchurch. See http://www.irishrail.ie/ for more details.
The closest Dublin Bike stations are opposite Christchurch Cathedral (Station 6) or on Greek Street (Station 4) beside the Luas Four Courts stop. More details on http://www.dublinbikes.ie/
Use Leap card to avail of great savings on public transport across the city. Find out more information about purchasing a family Leap Card here https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-family-card
Image by Aoife Dooley.
What To Wear
Sensible clothing for water activities must be worn – no jeans or clothing with metal buckles will be permitted as they may damage the slide. Check out more information here.
There is nowhere to store personal belongings. We advise you leave personal belongings with a friend while you ride the slide. We accept no responsibility for personal items lost, stolen or damaged on the day.
There will be changing facilities on site along with hair dryers. Don’t forget to pack a towel, you will get wet!
- Please take the time to read the slide rules carefully. You must sign our waiver before sliding.
- All participants must be at least 7 years old and over 44 inches (3’8″). If you’re under 18 you’ll need to get a sign off from your legal guardians.
- Obey instructions of lifeguards and other event staff at all times. Failure to follow the reasonable instructions of any event staff may result in refusal of entry.
- No running, standing, kneeling, tumbling, or stopping on the Slide.
- Keep all parts of the body within the Slide.
- Any person that appears to be intoxicated may be refused admission at the discretion of 98FM, event staff or an Garda Siochana.
- Leave the Slide promptly after coming to a stop at the bottom
- Exit at the bottom of the Slide (but before control basin) unless otherwise directed
- Profanity and unruly behaviour are offensive to other guests and may be cause for refusal of admission on the slide.
- When queuing up, guests are not permitted to save places for others, bypass others or re-enter after exiting the line.
- No eating or drinking on the Slide
- Sharp objects, spray paint/aerosol cans, glass bottles and explosives are prohibited on the Slide
- No animals on the slide
- No smoking within the slide zone.
- Sliding while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is strictly prohibited
- No nudity or inappropriate clothing
- Due to the physical nature of the slide it is advisable that anyone with an injury or suffering with ill health such as the following; heart conditions, epilepsy, dizziness, migraines, neck or back injury, undergoing medical treatment or have had an operation in the last 12 months, asthma, neurological conditions, diabetes, false limbs and glass eyes, does not participate in the slide event. If you are in doubt it is advisable to seek your own medical advice before the event. You will be asked to sign a waiver but should seek your own medical advice beforehand if you have any medical condition/illness/disability. It is advisable that pregnant women do not participate.
- Wristbands are STRICTLY assigned ONE PER PERSON. Wristbands are non-transferable unless a new waiver is signed. Wristbands cannot be sold on or exchanged for profit in any way.
- 98FM, and associated event companies, reserves the right to refuse admission on the slide at its discretion.
Health & Safety:
All participants must follow the instructions from any staff member during the event in the interest of safety. There will be a health and safety officer on site along with 2 paramedics at all times, should medical assistance be required.
Saturday afternoon is looking good. Speaking to 98FM, Met Eireann forecaster Willemien Phelan said:
"There's good conditions for the slide. Mostly dry with sunny spells and temperatures in the low 20s, 20-21 degrees."
There will some rain on Sunday morning. It will clear to showers in the afternoon. According to Met Eireann, the afternoon will be bright and fresh with occasional showers but also good spells of sunshine. Highest temperatures 18 to 21 degrees in moderate westerly breezes.
Wristbands can only be won by listening to 98FM. If you do not have a wristband, you can't go on the slide. Please note, if you turn up on the day without a wristband you will not be granted access to the event.
For queries, please email us at email@example.com or message us on Facebook.
Throughout the weekend 6,000 litres of water will be stored and recycled by Dublin City Council street cleaners - resulting in the cleaning of 20 streets across the city.
While You Are Here
Dublinia are offering 10% off all tickets to sliders with wristbands over the weekend. Visit http://www.dublinia.ie/ for more information.
- Christ Church Cathedral
Christ Church Cathedral are offering €5 entry for adults during The Big Slide Home. Visit www.christchurchcathedral.ie for more information.
Have a great weekend!