Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says he's concerned we're now going backwards when it comes to road safety.
He says the recent spike in road deaths is 'not a blip' and needs to be addressed.
Responding by letter to the road safety group PARC, Varadkar says road safety needs further focus and attention.
PARC had written to the Taoiseach outlining serious issues they felt had to be addressed urgently.
It pointed to the high number of deaths that have occurred on Irish roads recently, with August having its highest number in years.
Last month, there was a total of 26 road deaths on Irish roads.
The Taoiseach says he's spoken to the Garda Commissioner, Drew Harris, about the need for greater enforcement.
He adds that he is also contacting Justice Minister Helen McEntee and Junior Minister Jack Chambers - suggesting they hold a meeting of the ministerial committee on road safety, which he's willing to chair.
This year, there have been 126 fatalities on Irish roads.
1 in 3 of these fatalities has been a young person under the age of 25.
Slow down, wear your seatbelt, don't be distracted by technology on the road and be seen. pic.twitter.com/T4eBuMOBRG
— An Garda Síochána (@GardaTraffic) September 2, 2023
Some 126 people have been killed in road accidents so far this year.
30 of those have been passengers of a vehicle involved in a collision.
Yesterday, Gardaí reported that 1 in 3 road death fatalities this year have been a young person under the age of 25.
They are encouraging drivers to slow down, wear a seatbelt, not to become distracted by technology and to be seen.