Swimmers are being told not to swim at South Strand Beach in Skerries due to an increase in the levels of bacteria in the water.
Fingal County Council has issued a temporary advisory notice after a higher than acceptable level of e.coli was found.
It says the likely cause is the impact of animal and birds - as well as contamination of urban surface waters.
A Temporary Advisory Not To Swim Notice has been issued for South Strand Skerries. Bathers are advised not to swim at this location due to an increase in the levels of bacteria found in a bathing water sample taken on Monday, July 19.
More at https://t.co/UL9g8sCIJb pic.twitter.com/lITZUMhHVH
— Fingal County Council (@Fingalcoco) July 20, 2021
The council says higher levels of bacteria are usually short-lived and most bathers are unlikely to experience any illness.
The full results are due tomorrow from the samples taken yesterday.
The advisory notice asks beach users to avoid swallowing or splashing water, wash hands before handling food, avoid swimming with an open cut or wound and avoid swimming if you're pregnant or have a weakened immune system.