Joshua v Pulev no earlier than...

Sport

Joshua v Pulev no earlier than October, Fury fight 'impossible' in 2020

Richie McCormack
Richie McCormack

03:10 14 May 2020


Share this article


Anthony Joshua's heavyweight encounter with Kubrat Pulev isn't expected to take place any earlier than October. 

Originally scheduled for June 20 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the fight has been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Meanwhile, promoter Eddie Hearn says a Joshua-Tyson Fury unification bout in 2020 will be nigh-on impossible to arrange.

Fate has conspired against Joshua and Pulev since their proposed 2017 fight at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff was called off because the Bulgarian suffered a shoulder injury.

Hearn had hoped to rearrange the fight for July and August, but that's proving to be a non-starter.

The Matchroom supremo told The Daily Mail, "With everything going on and the fact we have no idea yet about when we will be allowed crowds, and what size crowds, it won't be the summer.

"I think it will be in the window between October and December.

"Sooner would be better than later because we don't want it to be a year between fights."

Joshua's last outing was his unanimous decision victory over Andy Ruiz in Saudi Arabia in December of 2019.

It would seem Tottenham hosting the Joshua-Pulev fight is off the table, with Pulev's manager Ivaylo Gotsev saying this week, "Eddie has spoken to you about the Middle East, which is a great possibility.

"It makes sense, because those countries were not as hard affected and if you take the right precautions, we could really have a safe environment.

"That's something I want to emphasise, and I can't say it enough times - safety first. We don't want to take a risk against anyone's health, no way no how."

China and Croatia are also believed to be in the running to stage the fight.

And while the delay to getting that fight done has pushed a Joshua-Fury showdown further into the distance, Hearn remains hopeful of cashing in on the all-England novelty.

Deontay Wilder is due to be Fury's next opponent as he exercised his rematch clause following their February clash in Las Vegas.

It had been reported that Wilder had accepted a lump sum to step aside, but that's proved unfounded.

Hearn told the Mail, "Step-asides are messy and you don't say never, but it is very unlikely.

"The plan would be for two fights with Fury in 2021 but we have to see."

 

 


Share this article


Read more about

Anthony Joshua Boxing Deontay Wilder Eddie Hearn Kubrat Pulev Tyson Fury

You might like

Live: Title

Description

Added to queue
Removed from queue

On Air

Share

Share

Next up on queue

Title
Description
Duration

There are currently no podcasts in the queue

Go to podcasts

On Air

Totally Irish with John Barker

Totally Irish with John Barker

21:00-23:00

Share

Up next

The Sound of the City at Night

The Sound of the City at Night

23:00-00:00

Share

The Sound of the City at Night

The Sound of the City at Night

00:00-07:00

Share

98FM'S Big Breakfast with Rebe...

98FM'S Big Breakfast with Rebecca and Brendan

07:00-10:00

Share

Dublin Talks with Adrian & Jer...

Dublin Talks with Adrian & Jeremy

10:00-12:00

Share

The Sound of the City with Bar...

The Sound of the City with Barry Dunne

12:00-16:00

Share

The Big Ride Home With Brian M...

The Big Ride Home With Brian Maher

16:00-19:00

Share

The Fix with Ciaran O'Connor

The Fix with Ciaran O'Connor

19:00-22:00

Share

The Sound of the City at Night...

The Sound of the City at Night with Karl Dawson

22:00-00:00

Share

00:00:00 / 00:00:00

Share on