Cricket Ireland yet to decide...


Cricket Ireland yet to decide on taking women's team out of Zimbabwe

Share this article

Cricket Ireland are yet to decide whether or not to summon the Ireland women's team back from Zimbabwe. 

They say they're "very concerned" by the spread of the new B.1.1.529 variant of COVID-19 spreading through southern Africa.

Ireland have played two group matches in the Women's World Cup qualifier in Harare, and are scheduled to play Sri Lanka on Saturday.

Thursday's win over the Netherlands will almost certainly be enough to secure Ireland a place in the Super Sixes, extending their stay in Zimbabwe until December 5.

The United Kingdom has temporarily banned flights from six African countries - including South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Munster Rugby were preparing to return to Ireland on Friday after United Rugby Championship organisers decided to postpone the next two rounds of fixtures scheduled for South Africa.

While DP World Tour golf has cancelled next month's Alfred Dunhill Championship, due to be played close to the Eswatini border.

“We are very concerned about the latest developments regarding the reported new Covid variant in Southern Africa as we have our Women’s squad currently in Zimbabwe playing a World Cup Qualifier," said Cricket Ireland CEO Warren Deutrom.

“While the circumstances around travel restrictions and health advice is a fast-moving one, we have been in close contact with the ICC, the Irish government and sports bodies in both jurisdictions to better understand the facts, and to properly inform and reassure the squad leadership.

“Our decision-making will be first-and-foremost based on the health and safety of players and support staff.

“We will provide updates as soon as we can.”

FRIDAY NIGHT RACING | Henry de Bromhead | Honeysuckle return

Share this article

Read more about

Covid-19 Cricket Cricket Ireland South Africa Zimbabwe

You might like