Steve Bruce said he'll try and maintain his dignity after Newcastle's new owners confirmed he'll remain in charge for at least the weekend.
Bruce will take charge of his 1,000th game when Tottenham visit St. James's Park on Sunday in the Premier League.
The game is the Magpies first since their £305million (€362m) sale to a Saudi Arabian-led consortium.
It's widely expected that Bruce will be eventually relieved of his duties by his new paymasters, but they released a statement on Friday confirming Bruce will be in the dugout on Sunday.
The 60-year old is hoping to prove a point or two, starting this weekend.
“Who wouldn’t want to try?" he asked reporters, "I will not give up the hope of it.
"Who wouldn’t want this job going forward? Who wouldn’t want to manage Newcastle?
"There will be hundreds wanting the same and it is exciting times.
“I will have a crack and try my utmost. Who would not want this opportunity and love to be sitting in my chair? I will make a fist of it and do my best for the club.”
Several names have been linked with possible arrivals to the Tyneside club with ex-Monaco and Lille sporting director Luis Campos being eyed-up for a similar role, and former RB Leipzig boss Ralf Rangnick keen on Bruce's job.
New Newcastle director Amanda Staveley congratulated Bruce on his 1,000th game as manager, but hinted that the former Sheffield United and Birmingham manager is a dead man walking.
"We have had an extremely busy week reviewing the business and getting to know people and it is imperative that we continue to be patient and considered in our approach.
"Change does not always happen overnight, it demands time and that we follow a carefully considered plan and strategy.
"We met Steve and the players on Monday and have given them the time and space this week to focus on preparing for what is a very important game on Sunday.
"Steve has been very professional in our dealings with him and he and his coaching team will take the team on Sunday.
"If we make any changes going forward, Steve will be the first to know but, in the meantime, we wish him the best of luck in his 1,000th match as a manager and will be joining you in getting right behind the team."
Perhaps unwisely as a Saudi employee, Bruce took a swipe at journalists for prematurely ending his reign at Newcastle.
"I hope you are feeling the heat because it hasn’t happened" he said, "Let’s hope you are getting stick from your bosses. You have not done your job properly.
“I will keep my dignity. It has been difficult. Whoever it is who is feeding you didn’t get it right. I hope you are feeling the heat.”
Bruce says his discussions so far with the new owners have been informal and brief.
He told a news conference, "There were no discussions on me whatsoever.
"There were certain discussion that need to be private.
"It was all about the team and injuries, it was informal.
"They were very good people. Let's not forget it's a great thing that has happened."