Nice say supporter hospitalise...


Nice say supporter hospitalised after alleged punch from Marseille assistant

Share this article

Nice claim a supporter remains in hospital following an alleged punch from a Marseille assistant coach. 

The incident occurred after Nice fans stormed the Allianz Riviera pitch during Sunday night's Ligue 1 meeting of the sides.

Both clubs have been summoned to a Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) disciplinary hearing on Wednesday to explain their actions.

The game was abandoned 90-minutes after it was originally called to a halt by referee, Benoit Bastien.

Nice say they held discussions on Monday with its Populaire Sud supporters group, and have told Allianz Riviera management of the need to install barrier netting to prevent the kind of bottle-throwing that sparked Sunday's violent scenes.

That stand will reportedly be closed for four home games.

Meanwhile, it's reported that a Nice supporter was arrested on Monday for hurling a bottle at Marseille's Dimitri Payet.

Nice are placing blame for the escalation purely at Marseille's doorstep.

"While nothing can excuse the actions of a few individuals guilty of throwing bottles onto the pitch," a statement read, "There is no doubt that it was the attitude and actions of several members of Olympique de Marseille that saw the incident escalate out of control.

"First of all, two experienced members of the OM playing staff lost control and threw projectiles directly into the nearby crowd of spectators, then one of Jorge Sampaoli assistant coaches crossed the field to attack and knock out a supporter, who of course should not have been there, but nevertheless remains in hospital."

Indeed, one of Jorge Sampaoli's backroom staff was pictured aiming a punch at a pitch invader.

Meanwhile, Marseille have defended their decision not to return to the pitch.

Nice players did return after a 90-minute delay, but the OM camp headed back to Marseille despite LFP orders.

"There was a controversy over whether or not we should have resumed this match," Marseille communications director Jacques Cardoze told RMC Sport, "We are told that it is because there is a possible threat to public order and possible disturbances that we had to resume the match.

"The match has not resumed and following these incidents, nothing happened. The argument of disturbing public order does not hold water. "

Share this article

Read more about

Dimitri Payet Ligue 1 Marseille Nice

You might like