Kerry willing to wait to play...


Kerry willing to wait to play All-Ireland semi-final with Tyrone


06:43 15 Aug 2021

Share this article

Kerry say they are willing to wait to play their All-Ireland Senior Football Championship semi-final with Tyrone. 

The Red Hand withdrew from the rescheduled fixture that was due to take place on 21 August Saturday as they continue to deal with a Covid-19 outbreak in their panel.

Speaking to OTB Sports following that announcement, joint-manager Brian Dooher said it was up to Croke Park whether or not their season was over.

He stressed that they wished to fulfil the fixture but were concerned for the welfare of their players.

A statement from Tadhg Ó Murchú, Cathaoirleach of Kerry GAA, on Sunday said they sympathise with Tyrone and although not an ideal situation they are willing to wait for the fixture to be played.

"Kerry is a proud GAA County, rich in the tradition of Gaelic Games which is deeply ingrained in all our Clubs and Communities. Every All-Ireland title that Kerry has won has been hard earned after a tough competitive campaign and we expect this year to be no different.

"We empathise with the Tyrone Senior football team who find themselves in this situation as a result of Covid-19 but would also point out the resultant knock-on challenges that our team, management and supporters are encountering.

"We find ourselves in a very difficult situation not of our making. We have explicitly followed all Covid protocols and we have taken every precaution to protect our Players and Management.

"The confusion and uncertainty surrounding our semi-final meeting with Tyrone has undoubtedly hindered our planning and preparation and has also been a very challenging time for our loyal clubs and supporters, many of whom had made travel & accommodation arrangements for next weekend.

"Notwithstanding this and having considered every possible aspect of the situation, our over-arching wish is to ensure that the All Ireland Semi-Final against Tyrone is played at the earliest possible opportunity. On that basis we have conveyed our position to National GAA earlier today and now await their deliberations and decision.

"Covid-19 has impacted hugely on everyone over the past year and a half and in the spirit of sportsmanship and collegiality, we feel that this offer will afford the National CCCC the best opportunity to arrive at an agreeable and acceptable solution in very difficult circumstances for all concerned."

Share this article

Read more about

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Covid-19 Kerry GAA Tyrone

You might like