Primary and secondary school pupils are to be given classes on sexual consent.
The Education Minister has announced a major review of Relationships and Sexuality Education in schools.
Richard Bruton has asked the National Council on Curriculum and Assessment to specifically consider a number of areas including:
- Consent, what it means and its importance;
- Developments in contraception;
- Healthy, positive sexual expression and relationships;
- Safe use of the internet;
- Social media and its effects on relationships and self-esteem;
- LGBTQ+ matters.
All schools are required to teach RSE but the course can be altered to suit a school's ethos.