A woman in Wales has been nearly blinded by a Christmas card when a piece of glitter worked its way into her eyeball.
The 49-year-old went to hospital in Swansea with a painful, reddened eye, loss of vision and a swollen eyelid.
Doctors initially thought it was a herpes infection until a microscope examination revealed a shiny surface inside.
It was then the woman remembered getting glitter in her eye after it rubbed off a Christmas card.
The study said the glitter formed into a clump and caused symptoms that mimicked the symptoms of herpes.
The report said: "The lesion may have been easily misdiagnosed as a herpetic simplex infection by non-specialists for which treatment would have been topical antiviral ointment instead of removal and antibiotics."