Gardai are advising cyclists to spend up to 20% of the value of their bike on two good bike locks.
They've released stats today showing over 14,000 bikes have been stolen in Ireland since the 1st of January 2016 - with 9,918 of them in Dublin.
Detectives have published a checklist for cyclists which will help prevent theft.
- Spend 10% to 20% of the value of your bike of two locks
- Lock your bike tightly to an immovable object
- Keep the lock off the ground
- Take a photo of your bike, note the serial number and email it back to yourself so you have a record of it forever.
- Lock your bike indoors or in well-lit areas if possible