A young child being treated for suspected meningitis in County Meath has died.
The HSE has confirmed the patient passed away this afternoon, after a suspected outbreak of the virus in Navan.
Two children under the age of 12 presented with symptoms earlier today, and were taken in for treatment.
Medical teams are now working with their relatives, and the children's primary school to ensure everyone that was in contact with them is safe.
Dr Paul Kavanagh, Director of Public Health Medicine HSE North East stated “Our thoughts in the first instance are clearly with the families of these two children, and particularly with the family of the child who sadly and tragically died."
We are obviously very much aware of the anxiety that is being experienced locally and our focus is to ensure appropriate public health measures are put in place."
Meningitis is a serious illness involving inflammation of the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. It can be caused by a variety of different germs, mainly bacterial and viruses.
The illness occurs most frequently in young children and adolescents, usually as isolated cases. Bacterial meningitis or septicaemia requires urgent antibiotic treatment.
Signs and Symptoms may include:
· Severe Headaches
· Discomfort from bright light
· Neck stiffness
The HSE advises that if anyone has any concerns they should contact their GP in the first instance but ensure that medical expertise is sought.